Friday, April 30, 2010

I think I May Have "Jumped The Shark"

Last weekend while in Sonoma Wine Country, we passed through the nice little town of St Helena. It has a great main street with all kinds of interesting shops, cafes and interesting sites to get you to spend your money. In order to defend my honor and pride, I feel it is necessary to explain that by this point, I had been away from my dogs for four days and really missed them a lot. So fast forward back to St Helena Main Street. I was tired. There was a little bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket and I felt compelled to buy something. We moseyed into a shop with an interesting array of stuff...a crazy statue of an Egyptian woman caught my eye. I feigned an interest in it and mumbled something about it being perfect for the front foyer (it wasn't). I just wanted to see if John was paying attention (he wasn't). Then I saw it- a wall of linens, towels and such...but behind the counter was a massive embroidery machine. I was fascinated watching and listening to it hum along, the machine whirring as it stitched various patterns, letters and designs into towels, sheets, and pillowcases. I started to dismiss it as completely ridiculous until I saw the sample patterns hanging ever-so-conveniently within reach. Instantly I spotted the Standard Poodle design. I thought about my poor poodles sitting at home pining away for me to return. Without hesitation I beckoned the sales girl and asked her embroider two dish towels for the kitchen. One with a black poodle and the name Sheldon and another with a brown poodle and the name Duncan. After paying a ridiculous price for these novelties, I waited as the machine did its thing. I'm not sure why but it really held my attention. I was so pleased with myself for finding something to buy that day. I was smiling just thinking about my dogs and how much they would appreciate their new dishtowels when I got back home. (think about what I just typed there). The day continued...

above: I stopped at Woodhouse chocolates and paused in front of their display-window. It featured a number of hand made chocolate lollypops shaped as flowers. It was so nifty. For a brief moment I felt like I was the Mayor of Lollypop Land, wherever that is. I was still thinking about my dogs back home alone, with just the pet sitter to keep them company.

When I returned home I was so happy to see Duncan and Sheldon. They are such happy dogs. I promptly unpacked their new embroidered dish towels and ceremoniously put them on display. Sheldon walked over and sniffed them, and walked away, unfazed. As I stared at the towels, I realized I may just have "jumped the shark" in buying something so ridiculous, especially for a guy. (the term "jump the shark" is an idiom to describe when something went from cool to absurd). Suddenly I had become my great grandmother. Not even my grandmother collects stuff like this. Oh well, there are worse things to be I suppose. Besides, my great grandma was pretty cool. And so are my two poodles, don't cha think so?
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment