Friday, October 16, 2009

The Aegean Sea Cruise: A Day At Sea

One of the things I enjoy most about cruises are the sea days. Longer cruises typically have multiple days at sea, for example the Panama Canal Cruise, which was 21 days had 9 sea days! Sea days are the ultimate luxury for me because they force relaxation. I take breakfast on my private balcony, hit the Promenade deck for early morning laps and enjoy the sea air. I usually review the list of activities and events published in the daily newsletter; there is something for just about everyone. I usually go for things like the lecture series, art auction, wine tasting, afternoon tea or perhaps a movie. The list of other on-board activities is amazing: ceramics, mini-golf, basketball, water volleyball, book clubs, dance lessons, card game tournaments, bingo, classes on cooking, photography, etc. The spa, fitness, and multiple pools/hot tubs are open all day everyday. Sometimes I just like to find a cozy spot in the library or atrium and curl up with a good book. All of these things I would never do off ship during the work week. So being on a cruise with sea days really forces me to RELAX. Yesterday afternoon we went to the Maitre D’ Hotel Wine Club tasting event. It started off with canapés, cheeses and crackers and offered 8 different wines to enjoy. The hosts of the event each shared some facts about wine and the particular winemakers featured in the tasting. Last night’s dinner was one of the three formal nights on this cruise, which meant tuxedos for the dining room. Regular readers know that I am comfortable wearing my tux, and I enjoy getting all gussied up. So last night was no exception. Its always fun to see everyone else in fancy gowns and black tie. I think it takes it up a notch, but that's just my opinion. Before I close, I thought I’d share a few more photos from our day in Capri. There was a group of nuns ferociously lapping up cones of gelato which caught the attention of passers-by. I couldn’t resist getting these photos. It just seemed funny at the time. I didn’t think nuns were supposed to enjoy anything- other than spanking children, that is.



Hope those pictures of gelato-eating nuns made you chuckle. Enjoy these photos from Capri....




Thanks again for stopping by. Today we are in Athens, Greece. So I should have plenty of photos to share, so please stop back.
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment