Saturday, January 30, 2010

Time to Re-Program My Mind

Yesterday was my last day at my prior employer. It was an enjoyable and rewarding 13 year career, yet I am ready to move on. Colleagues, co-workers and executives gave me a very nice send-off, quite generous accolades, in fact. I am deeply appreciative. Yet I cannot dwell in the past. I must begin to look forward. To do so I must "re-program my mind". Thirteen years anywhere is a long time, and I owe it to my new employer to come to work fresh, energized and sharp. When I walked out of my office building for the last time as an employee, I let out a deep, heavy sigh. It was symbolic in a sense but was necessary. Sheldon and Duncan were at my side, and both looked up at me as if to say, "What's wrong?" Their tails wagged, and they opened their mouths and smiled at me. It felt great. Before we drove off, I logged onto Twitter and Facebook from my blackberry and entered the simple phrase: "It is finished." Later I was surprised to see the comments from folks who responded knowing, to what I was referring. My decision to leave was driven by an interesting opportunity elsewhere, and it wasn't a decision I made lightly. Although looking back, my subconscious knew I was ready for something new. As I drove home to Palm Springs, my mind was filled with thoughts. I remembered a quote of artist Vincent Van Gogh, who said: "I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process" Very fitting, I thought. It's not intended to be negative, just meaning that my mind was all about the last 13 years and it took over who I am.

I decided I needed a quick celebration. So I stopped off at Cold Stone Creamery, ordered the largest cup of chocolate ice cream they offer, and gobbled it up. This weekend is important for me. I must begin to re-program my mind. Release myself from old habits, thoughts, limitations and prepare for a new adventure. Visualize what I want to become in my new role, and "reboot" my systems. It may include a trip to a day spa, and most certainly a nice dinner with close friends to celebrate. Those would be much needed distractions. But in the background, will be a mental de-fragmentation of sorts. I really need it.

FYI, if you are just catching up, here is the background to all these work changes:
The News...Part I
The News...Part II

-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment