Saturday, August 21, 2010

Atlanta Crime...Its Bad

I am sad to report that I was mugged last night in Atlanta. My brand new iPad was stolen last night in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, in the hip and trendy, bustling Atlantic Station shopping area. Crime in Atlanta has gotten progressively much worse, in fact much worse than I ever remember. Last night I was walking out of a very nice restaurant, called Dolce, (which is located at 261 19th Street in Atlanta). I was right outside the front door of the restaurant, when a young guy, probably between 24-26 years old, ran up to me, bumped me and snatched my iPad out of my right hand. I tried to hold onto it, but he had the element of surprise and speed. My hand was cut from the movement of it being yanked out so fast. Instinct kicked in, and I immediately turned and chased him. I was screaming at the very top of my lungs: "STOP THAT MOTHER F***ER, HE STOKE MY IPAD!!! STOP THAT MAN, HE ROBBED ME...STOP HIM, STOP HIM!!" All the while I was chasing him on foot, running at the top speed of a forty something year old guy. I chased him for four blocks, screaming the whole time. My three dinner mates followed in pursuit, hoping to help. Amazingly, not a single local even attempted to stop the thief as he ran past. Onlookers may have just been stunned, but the thief was clearly running away having stolen something. He was gripping my poor iPad in his filthy hands as he escaped. I was running on pure adrenaline, but it was not fast enough. The thief was twenty years younger than I and simply got away.

Now, some might ask, why I was carrying my iPad around to dinner, and if I hadn't done so it wouldn't have been stolen. I suppose that is true, but later it was interesting to hear the number of other stories from locals who had their own possessions stolen in the same week! It is probably also worth mentioning here that I am not a country bumpkin. I lived and worked in New York City, Boston, Chicago, London and San Diego, so I consider myself to be street smart, a real city guy, certainly not naive to the ways of city life. Atlanta crime is bad. It is out of control for such a crime to take place in a very built up area with movie theaters, restaurants and shopping. Beware, Atlantic Station may look safe, but it is not!


above: this is the Atlantic Station area of Atlanta. In speaking with several businesses, locals and police, the city has been over-run with crime recently. A young woman told me her purse had been snatched the day before. A bartender told me his car had been broken into two days prior. Yep, Atlantic Station is not safe for visitors or locals either, for that matter. I'd certainly recommend staying away from the area if you don't have to come here. Do not dine here or be out after dark.


above: this is the fine dining restaurant where the theft occurred, right outside the front door. It is in the Atlantic Station shopping district.

above: this is the Millennium Arch, where my high speed pursuit on foot ended, to no avail. Finally the Atlanta police arrived but the thief was long gone. I was exhausted from running, hot and sweaty from chasing the bad man. Fortunately there wasn't much on my brand new iPad that wasn't backed up. So in the grand scheme of things, it was a low impact theft. I'm just out $918.59 which is what I paid for my iPad. Do I blame Atlantic Station for not having adequate security? Yes I do. Do I blame Atlanta police for not patrolling the area, while they were in one area? Yes I do. Do I blame the city of Atlanta for allowing such a high rate of crime in a shopping district that is intended to attract business visitors and tourist? Yes I do. Will I return to Atlanta anytime soon? Nope. Am I being rational? Probably not, but I have a right to be, as a new victim of this city.

So if you are planning a trip to Atlanta, BEWARE! Watch your wallet, hold onto your purse, lock up your valuables. Don't take anything out with you that you don't want stolen. Atlanta is not safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment