Sunday, June 12, 2011

Tom Ford Fall/Winter 2011 - 2012 Collection.

A new video-lookbook has been uploaded on the internet showing Tom Ford’s fall/winter 2011 – 2012 collection. I particularly liked the video that accompanied the first, highly anticipated, spring/summer collection.  Therefore I share with you this lookbook, whilst waiting for some more coverage on the fall/winter collection. I am quite fond off Tom Ford’s collection simply because when I imagine myself dressing women, they would definitely be clothed in this style of garments. I don’t think you can ever fail in these types of outfits. Classical, yet not “démodé”, and sexy without losing elegance or being vulgar.

Maybe not a style you would be wowed by with inventivity, but I don’t think that is the essence of Fashion. I think nowadays too many upcoming designers want to focus on creativity in a way that it takes preposterous proportions (sometimes, when they are trying to turn objects totally unrelated to fashion into designs, it feels like they forgot about what they were doing in the first place, namely making a garment). They loose track of what is most important, beauty! I believe it is the industry that pushes them towards these changes. Everything’s got to be new, happening and never seen before, because otherwise you get bored editors.

Yes sometimes we get very innovative designs, but many of them are hideous (at least to my taste), but for some reason they are widely applauded. (Maybe I’m just not getting it, I don’t know)  Luckily for me, Tom Ford has built up such a good name that he isn’t forced to take such measures. It’s only the acclaimed designers that have the luxury of uncompensated craftsmanship. Seeing this collection I can definitely understand why Ford has worked for Gucci and YSL in the past. Gucci’s sexiness and YSL’ elegance combined. Sometimes they say that the days of true Couture are over…

I sometimes ask myself if by example Yves Saint Laurent and Valentino left their businesses into the hands of younger designers because they were forced by a market that did not give them the opportunity to keep on doing what they did so splendidly, namely making Haute Couture. Questions like that make me sad, but then again I am happy to see Tom Ford creating collections that remind me of greater days in Fashion when it was less commercial. Maybe there is still some room for…

To remind you, the spring/summer 2011 video:




The new fall/winter lookbook:





No comments:

Post a Comment