Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Growing Things in Palm Springs...

Ahhhh, Life in Palm Springs. How I love our desert environment. I've been keeping up with blogs of friends across the country, many of whom are sharing photos of their gardens, flower beds all newly planted and full of the promise of spring and the anticipation summer. I thought I'd share a few photos of plants in and around my garden, some of which I took at unusual angles to make them more interesting. I call this post "Growing Things in Palm Springs". Take this cactus for instance. It is sitting in a pot on the edge of the hot tub and pool. I just liked the contrast of the cool blue water behind the cactus.

above: this "organ pipe" style cactus is nestled between two palm trees. I remember planting this guy when he was just in a five gallon pot!

above: this Sago Palm is quite happy...even though it isn't really a palm tree.

above: this Madagascar Palm isn't really a palm either, but it sure is fun. Just don't touch the stalk part, it has spines all over it. Ouch!

above: I think this is in the agave family, but it has a huge stalk growing in the center that resembles an asparagus spear!

above: a very large barrel cactus, I like these guys

above: more baby cactus lined up to be planted soon.
above: we have hedges of Oleander shrubs, in red, white and pink. Oleander are very very common in Southern California, but I like them because the bloom year round.
Hope you enjoyed this brief tour of Growing Things in Palm Springs. Have a great day.
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment