Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Rick's Roadshow: Rome Wrap Up

Well my quick jaunt to Italy is over, and it's back to work for me today. It's amazing what taking even just a few personal vacation days can do to rejuvenate oneself. A long weekend in Rome is just the trick! I thought I'd do a Rick's Roadshow: Rome Wrap Up post today, featuring some photos I have not yet shared. It's a bit of a mish-mosh of images so I indulge your patience. At top left is a section of a waterfall at the Piazza Navona. Even though the face is a little creepy, I like the two dolphins on either side of him.

above: another water fountain on Piazza Navona

above and below: still in Piazza Navona, I took these photos to show the muted colors of buildings and the cafes along the edges.
above: The locals steer clear from restaurants on just about any main Piazza, as the food is geared toward tourists. I prefer to eat at smaller places on side streets where there are mostly Italians dining. But its fun to stroll through these areas and soak it all up!

above: In Piazza di Popolo ("plaza of the people") they had a demonstration of police dogs, who performed all sorts of crowd-pleasing maneuvers.
above: We found a quiet side street to relax with a few beers...

above: which were served with bruschetta and potato chips. I could do this everyday!
above: Now this is my kind of snack shop. Whole Parma hams hanging behind the counter, fresh cheeses and things that make you go: "Mmmmmmm"
above: Actually this photo is from a restaurant in Bologna, where I had had the traditional Tortellini stuffed with prosciutto ham served in broth. It was served in a giant tureen, so I had four bowls, not to let it go to waste! Yes, we ate very well in Italy, but isn't that what you'd expect? I'm back home now but ready to go back to Italy again. Following the legend, I tossed a coin over my back into the Trevi Fountain, to assure a return to Rome. I expect it to work.
-Signore Ricardo Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment