Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Hippy Green Grocer

Last week I was in Portland, Oregon on business for a few days. I always enjoy getting up to the Northwest part of our country. It's so green- in more ways than one. It is green in the sense of the landscape and foliage- a stark contrast to Palm Springs or even San Diego, where the hills are all brown from low rainfall. Portland is naturally green and easy-on-the-eyes. But Portland is also green in another manner. Green as in eco-friendly. Restaurant menus are printed on recycled paper. Recycle bins are available in most places consumers go. It just seems Portland is more green than many other places I visit- and believe me, I get around the country. In addition, wherever one goes in Portland, you can easily find all sorts of natural and organic products. I drove past this cute little "country store" called The Green Grocer. We stopped in for a look around. It was a wonderful little store with all organic and natural products. I bought some organic ice cream bars, and organic peanut butter crackers as a snack. Also had a nice chit-chat with the hippy chick who was working. I had a feeling she may have been the owner, but it wasn't clear. She as all excited because some movie is using the exterior of her store in a major Hollywood movie sometime soon. I already forgot what the name of the flick will be, but it didn't really matter anyway. I just thought this little store was so cute. I wanted to patronize a local business, especially since it was full of wonderful organic products. Anyway that's my little Portland story of the Green Grocery. Any green stores in your area?
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment