Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Palm Springs Pot...

Lest you think I only write glamorous stories about our lovely desert community, here is an interesting news item that The Desert Sun newspaper reported yesterday:

Following up on a tip, apparently local authorities discovered some 13,000 marijuana plants growing on a parcel of government land management property and a local ranch just outside of Palm Springs. It was reported that no one was arrested and whoever was growing the crops must have recently abandoned the grounds. The growers were stealing water from a creek to provide the necessary half gallon of water needed each day per plant, for a total of 6,500 gallons of water per day, which is a lot considering we live in the desert. The newspaper said the law enforcement officials ripped the plants out of the ground to destroy them. I briefly wondered why they didn't just burn the crops, but I quickly came to my senses.

Here's the amazing part: There were more than 13,000 pot plants growing, at a rate of $3,500 per plant, the street value was $45 million! Can you even imagine? Who knew that the stuff was so expensive. Since I've never used marijuana (nor do I wish to do so) I was baffled by this number. I guess I live a sheltered life when it comes to illegal contraband. Anyway, so there is another side of our desert community for you. Do you have any interesting stories about your community, city or town? C'mon, spill the beans and fess up here with a comment.
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment