Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sunday Art Review: Velvet Paintings..Tacky? You Decide!

The ever-popular weekly Sunday Art Review series has been primarily a more "traditional" study in art for the past year. Which is why last week I branched out and featured the Snow Art post for fun. As I contemplated the topic for this week's post, I wasn't quite ready to return to a more "serious" study just yet. While out running errands yesterday I stopped in a locally-owned store and noticed a wonderfully tacky velvet painting on the wall of this business establishment. "Perfect!", I thought to myself. What could be more fun that that? It's important not to take life too seriously-thus, the inspiration for this week's post was born. It reminded me of a friend of mine- he used to work in an office where there was a velvet Elvis painting that mysteriously made its way around the office on various people's birthdays, anniversaries, etc. No one ever knew who moved it around, and it became part of the office folk lore and the inside joke. But when the velvet Elvis painting showed up in your office, the unwritten rule was you had to leave it until it made its way elsewhere, without notice or fanfare. It had a life unto itself. I'm rambling now so I'll reel this back home. So without further delay, welcome to The Sunday Art Review: Velvet Paintings...Tacky? You Decide! Our lead feature above left is a twist on an old favorite, the velvet "Dogs Playing Poker".

above: "Velvet Camel" and "Velvet Deer & Tiger"
above: If you can believe it, "Velvet Charles Nelson-Riley" and "Velvet Sherawali"
above: "Velvet Elvis", practically a classic, and "Velvet John Wayne"
But this last one takes the cake:
above: "Velvet Jesus and Elvis" a must-have!
I can't say I'd own a velvet painting but they sure make for good conversation. So, now it's time for YOU to vote: Velvet Paintings, Tacky or Just Plain Fun? Go ahead, leave a comment with your vote. And while you are at it, which one do you like best?
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment