Thursday, February 19, 2009

Of Being Stupid...

Ever done anything so stupid that the next day you find yourself feeling dumb as a box of rocks and asking yourself: "What was I thinking?" Well just the other day, I saw a woman who resembled the wife of an old buddy of mine. Without warning, my mind was flooded with memories of a night gone wrong. Its not something I would write about here, but suffice to say it was one of those nights where I just wasn't thinking. How is it we can get into things and not realize the implications of our conversations/actions until it is too late? I remember it clearly. We were having a long conversation and somehow I got it wrong. I misinterpreted what my friend was saying and never stopped to "visually check" for cues, like nodding head in agreement, or even a "yup" back at me. Before you know it I made an assumption and started to run my mouth, even talking about his wife-inadvertently making my friend uncomfortable without knowing it. Where was my mind? How could I have been so clueless and non-observant? I've always considered myself to be much more astute and self-aware. But not that time. I ran into my friend the next day and had a polite, but forced conversation. I've never spoken to him since. I've spent a long time "beating myself up" over my stupidity of that night, and know that it is probably best just forgotten. So I've written this post as a cathartic exorcism of sorts. Hey, my conscience seems to have cleared up...I feel better already. But oh, why was I so stupid???
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment