Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sunday Art Review: Palm Springs Art Museum Sampler

Saturday I visited the Palm Springs Art Museum to attend their annual fundraiser event (I'll cover it in detail tomorrow). Being in the midst of so many fabulous works of art provided the inspiration for this week's Sunday Art Review: Palm Springs Art Museum Sampler. As a member of the museum I enjoy spending time exploring what I consider one of the finest art museums on the west coast. Their permanent collection of Modern and Contemporary American art includes painting, sculpture, glass, photography and furniture among other mediums. The museum also offers a robust schedule of rotating exhibits throughout the year; currently they have an extensive collection by American photographer Robert Mapelthorpe (which I explored last night and thoroughly enjoyed). They also have a wonderful exhibit of contemporary glass, Mesoamerican art, and an exhibit of works by Maynard Dixon called The Hays Collection. I apologize in advance that I'm in several of these photos, they are really silly social photos and do not convey the beauty of these works. For those of you who tease me incessantly about always having the same expression in all my photos, I purposely didn't smile in the photo above left. It's a brilliant sculpture, isn't it? Anyway, onto to the rest of this week's Sunday Art Review.
Above: I especially like this piece- although it reminds me of a guy from whom I used to take equestrian lessons a million years ago. Funny how things like that come right back to one's memory like that.
above: Enjoying the newly installed Glass Center exhibit. There is a wide variety of glass art made from casting, fusing, lamp-working to glass blowing among other methods. It's a marvelous exhibit featuring items from their permanent collection and new significant works on loan from private collections.

above: oil on canvas, of a date palm tree.

above: A little bizarre, but this is a huge black spider, in what looked like cast iron or bronze.


Well that's all for this week's Sunday Art Review, as brief as it is. Thanks for stopping by today.
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment