Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Saturday Seven: Doo Dahs, Doo-Hickies and Thingamajigs

Yesterday I was looking for something at work for which I could not remember the name. I could visualize it in my mind's eye. In my feeble attempt to describe it I gestured with my hands to show the shape, while snapping my finger, helpfully saying "you know, the, the, the. the what'sitcalled. the thingamajig. the doohickey that goes into the hoosey-whatsy. I finally remembered what I was looking for and breathed a sigh of relief. This was the inspiration for this week's scintillating edition of The Saturday Seven: Doo Dahs, Doo-Hickies and Thingamajigs. But what is a Doo Dah, a Doo-hickey or a thingamajig, you ask? Well it is something unspecified or difficult to explain whose name is either forgotten or not known. For the fun of it, I thought I'd present seven random doo dahs, doo-hickies and thingamajigs:

#1 A Cement Jointer- also called a sidewalk groover or sidewalk creaser. It smooths the joint between two concrete surfaces.



#2 Stud Finder- no, not THAT kind of stud, the kind that holds up walls.

#3 Pineapple Corer- yes folks, no household should be without one. I own one, thanks to my Mom. It is a great doohickey to get the best part of out of a pineapple!
#4 Pedometer- I still don't understand how these things actually work, and I never remember what they are called.
#5 Pastry Blender- a what? I own one of these and have no idea why. I've never used it.
#6 Garlic peeler- you mean this thing isn't just a piece of broken plastic?
#7 Drain Snake- my personal favorite. Ever seen someone use these thingamajigs? Totally weird.
What strange Doo Dahs, Doo-hickies or Thingamajigs baffle or fascinate you? Go ahead, leave a comment, it's FREE!
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment