Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday Art Review: Statues Galore

With the 200th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln's 200th birthday this past week, I found myself drawn back to a post I did on July 15, 2007 that included a visit to the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC. As I re-read that post I was reminded of the awesome presence and impression it had on me that day. I started thinking how amazing it is that a statue made of cold, hard materials could convey such emotion and warmth. For some reason, it became the inspiration for this week's Sunday Art Review: Statues Galore. I dug up a series of photos I had taken recently of statues that had not yet been included in a previous post here. And so without much fanfare, I present a small collection of statues for your enjoyment.


above: "Realism in Femininity" in bronze

above: "Serenity Woman", fiberglass
above: Serenity Man, fiberglass
above: Aphrodite, in marble

above: I'll call this "Kew Gardens Man" because I don't know the actual title of artist.
Well that's all for this week's Sunday Art Review. It was short and sweet. Hope you have a great Sunday
-Rick Rockhill

No comments:

Post a Comment