Sunday, March 27, 2011

Basta Baptiste!

Karl Lagerfeld’s muse Baptiste Giabiconi hasn’t had a days rest in the last 2 years. It is impossible to enter the fashion-blogosphere without stumbling on a picture or video of the Kaiser’s French wonder boy. As Naomi Campbell pointed out in 2009: “it’s not right, we all have defects, you have none.” Granted, he has a pretty face and a nice body to match and I don’t think anybody has any problem enjoying the many campaigns he has been featured in. But I believe his flawless talents may end their. Seeing him in advertisements, that I can cope with, but “enduring” him in a popvideo attempting to sing and act is another cup of tea. Clearly there is a difference between presenting yourself in silence or expressing yourself through a song or by impersonating a character. Maybe I don't give him enough credit (by all means, I don’t even know the man), it’s not that he is awful, but it’s just that he doesn’t seem to be any special as a singer, more like thirteen in a dozen. The same goes for these Chanel short movies written by Karl Lagerfeld, always featuring the same Baptiste and a row of other female models the Kaiser adores. I guess initially Karl has a great idea (he probably always has) when he produces the concept of this short movies (often referring to the Coco Chanel past), and he does succeed in creating a nice atmosphere throughout his movies. Nevertheless the general idea never truly translates to the viewer because of the poor acting of his models. I'm always left with the feeling that it just took me a considerable amount of minutes NOT getting any wiser. Don't get me wrong, I am the last person to doubt Karl Lagerfeld’s genius mind, but please just let the models model. There’s this saying, let the cobbler stick to his last.

As I already said, Baptiste's videoclip caught my attention. I do not hate the video and have no negative feelings towards Baptiste (otherwise I would not put him into a blog entry). I just wonder if he would have had the same opportunities if Karl Lagerfeld wasn’t standing beside him?  

No comments:

Post a Comment